30+ Books About Writing And Publishing All Writers Should Read
I love to encourage my readers to take action towards building a career as a freelance writer, blogger, content creator, author or solopreneur – every single day. Set aside an hour every day for reading something from this list. Just don’t let it take away from your writing time. I read when I’ve done my writing for the day and I’m too tired to do any more. I also read on my phone anywhere from the hairdressers to the supermarket checkout line.
Disclosure: Sometimes my work here (and all around the web) contains affiliate links. Find out what that means here.
Some of these books just a few bucks, or even free, in ebook form, via the Kindle Unlimited subscription service. Click the image below to find out more about that.
Just one tip. Keep a notebook to hand. Make an action list as you go through each book. You’ll only benefit from them if you act on their advice. Happy reading.
- Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day by Monica Leonelle
- Nail Your Story: Add Tension, Build Emotion, and Keep Your Readers Addicted by Monica Leonelle
- Emotion Amplifiers by Angela Ackerman
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence by Roz Morris
- Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 tips for fascinating characters by Roz Morris
- Write Good Or Die by Scott Nicholson
- Let’s Get Digital: How To Self-Publish, And Why You Should by David Gaughran
- Let’s Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books by David Gaughran
- Self-Printed: The Sane Person’s Guide to Self-Publishing by Catherine Ryan Howard
- How I Sold 80,000 Books: Book Marketing For Authors by Alinka Rutkowska
- The Non-Fiction Formula: How to Write an eBook That Sells Itself, In 24 Days Or Less by Chaiwat Theerasong
- Author’s Quick Guide to Making Your Book A Bestseller by Kristen Eckstein
- Author’s Quick Guide to Organizing Your Non-Fiction Book by Kristen Eckstein
- Author’s Quick Guide to Marketing Your Book Online and Off by Kristen Eckstein
- Author’s Quick Guide to Editing Your Book by Kristen Eckstein
Yep! I LOVE Kristen Eckstein’s Author’s Quick Guide series. I’ve probably learned more from Kristen (who now goes by the name Kristen Joy AKA The Book Publishing Ninja) than anyone else in the indie author business.
- Marketing Your Book On Amazon: 21 Things You Can Easily Do For Free To Get More Exposure and Sales by Shelley Hitz
- APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book by Guy Kawasaki
- Kill Your Blog: 12 Reasons Why You Should Stop F#$%ing Blogging! by Buck Flogging
- Is $.99 the New Free? The Truth About Launching and Pricing Your Kindle Books by Steve Scott
- Sell More Books: 55 Free Promotions That Work by Nancy L. Hendrickson
- Write. Publish Repeat. (The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success) by Sean Platt
- Get Known Before The Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths To Grow An Author Platform by Christina Katz
- Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer’s Guide to Marketing and Publicity by Rob Eagar
- Coach Yourself to Writing Success: Boost Motivation, Increase Creativity and Achieve Your Writing Goals by Bekki Hill
- This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
- On Writing – A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
- Story Engineering by Larry Brooks
- Rise of the Machines: Human Authors In A Digital World by Kristen Lamb
- The Shy Writer Reborn: An Introverted Writer’s Wake-up Call by C. Hope Clark
- Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg
Wishing you all the greatest success. Happy reading, learning and writing.